Puffy eyes occur when the areas around the eye swell up.
This puffiness has a number of causes:
The eyelid skin is quite thin. Therefore, when the blood vessels are irritated the skin quickly swells.
This gives rise to the puffy look.
Causes of Puffy Eyes
Most cases of this condition are harmless and with some simple treatments will disappearwithout medical intervention.
When the eyes are puffy, but also painful,red and inflamed, or there is accompanying visual problems, then it is important to consult a doctor/ophthalmologist or optometrist.
The main causes of puffiness around the eyes are:
1. fluid retention (excess alcohol or sodium/salt consumption)
3. lack of sleep
4. allergies (hayfever etc – normally also accompanied by itchy,burning and watery eyes)
5. also being extremely tearful causes an increase of blood flow to the eye region and swelling of the eyelids.
Treatment of Puffy Eyes.
For eye puffiness which is not causes by another eye problem/accompanied by pain/vision loss here are some recommendedtreatments:
1. Apply cold flannels (face cloths, wash cloths) to eyelid area.
2. Apply cold teabags and/or cucumber slices to closed eyes.
3. Reduce sodium and alcohol intake and increase water intake(remember everyone needs at least 8 glasses of water per day)
There are some beauty creams for eye puffiness, but our researchers have found the teabags and cucumber slices just as effective and less costly!
For other forms of eye puffiness or persistence of the condition it is recommended that you consult a medical practitioner for further investigation and advice.